As the founder and owner of Southern Oak Kennels, Barton breeds and trains British Labradors to be useful tools in fields and marshes across the US and around world. He is also the co-founder of Corner Stone Gun Dogs which is the most comprehensive dog training program on the web. An avid waterfowl hunter, Barton gets to live the dream by combining his passion for dogs and waterfowl hunting in both his life and his work.
- Who got you into hunting / fishing? Why do you still do it?
- A friend from church asked if I was interested in duck hunting, and I took him up on it. I was 21, and our first hunt was awful. Even still, I was hooked for life. I love being outdoors, love shooting, love the social aspects, but... most of all, I love working dogs.
- How do you prepare for a hunt?
- We put a lot of emphasis on scouting, packing the proper gear for concealment and comfort, and setting up using all of nature's provisions to our best advantage.
- What is your favorite hunting / fishing memory?
- My favorite hunting memory is taking my two kids and two of our labradors on their first dove shoot.
- What is your favorite type of hunt/fish or place to hunt/fish?
- My favorite place to hunt is geese over dry fields in the central flyway (North Dakota down to Oklahoma).
- What is the most beautiful thing you've seen while out on a hunt?
- I once saw nearly 1500 mallards drop into a flooded timber hole in Arkansas. We didn't fire a shot; everyone just sat back in amazement.
- What is your dream hunt/fish trip?
- My dream hunting trip would be to follow the migration down from North Dakota to Kansas with one of my children and a pile of labradors.
- What is your favorite quote or words you live by?
- Success is not final, failure is not fatal... it is the courage to continue that counts. -Churchill